Although the stone in front of the building reads 1859, the first liquor license was granted on August 17, 1727. The petition was signed by 26 citizens, most of whom were Uwchland residents. Prominent citizens gathered at the Eagle, a popular spot, because it was built on the fork of two main roads and near a church. The location on the original license says, “Half way between Chester and Conestoga on the King’s Road”.
After the tavern was established, it encouraged growth of a village called Eagle. The mailing address was Uwchland 19480, but as time changes all good things, we now have a Chester Springs, 19425 address.
The original building was torn down in 1799. A building named the “President Adams” became it’s replacement. Locals continued to call it “The Eagle”, so it reverted back to it’s original name. Over the years and through many owners, the name was changed to “Spread Eagle”, “The Little Eagle”, and “The Eagle Hotel”.
It was last used as a hotel in the fifties when the PA Turnpike was being constructed. The Tavern sits only one mile north of the turnpike.
In 1923, a new concrete highway was opened from Downingtown to Pottstown (Route 100) and this brought many new people to the farm region of Chester County. As new people came to the area, new changes were made, but our “old building” continued to remain the same. As car after car passed by, new rules were made, and people came and went. History continues one day at a time.
The present owner has been here since January of 2018, continuing to seek pleasure in serving fine food and spirits to all of our old and new friends.